Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Ellie's Room




Our big girl has made it to 5lbs! And, she was off oxygen for about 21 hours.  She took herself off of it yesterday afternoon around 1. Yes, you read that correctly, she took herself off of it.  I came back from lunch and she had tugged enough that the tape came off her cheeks and the cannula was laying on the bed next to her.  She was napping happily and her oxygen level was great! So we left her off of it and she tolerated it really well.  During the night, they ended up having to put her back on it just while they fed her and this morning when I came in around 9 she was starting to dip down into the 80s. So they had to put her back on 0.5L.  They also said that she was refluxing bad last night and this morning for her feedings and wasn't eating as much, so we are all going to watch her take a bottles today and see how she does.  Baby steps! 

My mom was teasing me back in May that I had finished Ellie's room 10 weeks early.  Now, we are so glad that I did. I haven't had to worry about getting it done before she comes home.  I can't wait to see her in it. As luck would have it, it fits her personality perfectly.  I wanted a nursery that was soothing and neutral, but still "girly." But without feeling like "whoa, pink explosion!" every time we opened the door.  Being the art nerd that I am, I came across Edgar Degas' Dancers in Blue and then fell in love with grey and aqua bedding at Pottery Barn and the room quickly designed itself from there.  Wesley built and installed her shelves.  I love that we will be able to see the covers of the books that we put in there.

Mom, Katie, and I toted the Degas print to JoAnns and picked out coordinating fabric for the mobile that I made her. It took a long time, but it was really easy.  It is just fabric circles folded and pinned into Styrofoam balls. I turned the solid wood entertainment cabinet that my parents gave me a few years ago into a wardrobe to house nursing supplies, blankets, and diapers. I decided to keep the twin bed in the room with original plans to have Ellie sleep in her room from the beginning.   Now, she will probably end up in our room for the first few weeks so we can literally roll over and check and make sure she is breathing.   Still, I'll be able to use the bed to nap when she does and it will make a great "couch" for the three of us to sit on and read bedtime stories.

The finishing touches, from Ellie's sweet gifts to framed cards and shower invitations, made the room feel really ready for her.  It added the perfect amount of pink and personal touches.  We couldn't be happier with how it turned out and we just can't wait to bring her home to it!! I've told her all about it so I know she just dreams about being there every afternoon :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...